If you’re considering hiring a life coach, you’re taking a huge step toward improving your life and reaching your goals. But with so many options out there, how do you know which life coach is the right fit for you? Here are my top 6 tips on how to pick a good life coach:
- Look for credentials and experience. A qualified life coach should have at least a few years of experience and some sort of professional training and/or certification. This shows that they have a solid understanding of the coaching process, training in valuable techniques, and the skills necessary to help you achieve your goals.
- Check their website and social media presence. A professional life coach should have a well-designed website and an active presence on social media. This is a great way to get a sense of who they are, and to see if you might enjoy working with them. Qualifications are super important but they don’t matter if you don’t really like your coach!
- Read reviews and testimonials. Ask potential coaches for references and read reviews from past clients. This will give you an idea of their success rate and the results they’ve been able to help others achieve.
- Ask about their coaching style and approach. Every coach has their own unique style, so it’s important to find one that aligns with your needs and preferences. For example, my approach to coaching is thoughtful, yet my style is informal and interactive. I am warm, empathic, collaborative, and transparent (read more here). Some coaches may be more direct and offer specific advice, while others may take a more collaborative and supportive approach.
- Consider their availability and accessibility. A good life coach should be available and accessible to you, whether that’s through regular in-person meetings, phone calls, or online sessions. They should also be responsive to your needs and be able to adapt their coaching style to fit your goals and preferences.
- Trust your instincts. It’s really important to trust your instincts when choosing a life coach. If you feel a connection with the coach and believe they can help you, that’s a good sign. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and get to know them before committing to working with them.
It is very important to have a conversation with your potential life coach before committing. They might look perfect on paper and have a beautiful website, but you have to make sure you feel comfortable talking to them. I offer free consultations for this reason! By following these steps, you can find a great life coach who is the right fit for your personality and your goals.